Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It Takes Some Effort

Here's my thought for today: For the past couple of weeks I've been getting some physical therapy on my left arm, which I injured somehow. I remember the first time I ever went to physical therapy for back pain years ago. Before going for treatment, I had a totally different concept of what physical therapy actually is. I remember being assigned some exercises to do at home, and even the therapy sessions consisted of a number of exercises I had to do on my own. "You mean I have to work at this?" I asked my therapist. "Sure, if you want to get some results," she responded. Well, was that ever a shock for me! I somehow had the idea that that's what I was paying them for! Here's what I thought: I'll go in for these feel-good treatments three times a week and just lay there while they soothe my pain away. I had no idea that the largest factor in my healing would be my own consistent efforts long after the treatments were over.

When it comes to health, wellness, and weight control, I think a lot of us have similar ideas. You've seen the ads, I'm sure. They go something like this: "Lose 40 pounds while eating whatever you want--without exercising." Wouldn't that be nice? I suppose if it were that easy, none of us would have weight problems! But the reality is, nothing worth having is that easy to get. If you want results, as my therapist said, you've got to make an effort. Her statement was a reality check for me, and still serves as a reminder today that whenever I want to accomplish something, I have to make an effort to make it happen.

Wishing you a productive day!

The Wellness Lady

3 comments:

PeriodSpaces said...

i appreciate your effort! nice job...
visit me back...
http://www.bogthistle.com/
http://www.periodspaces.com/

Unknown said...

Pat,
I just read your health blog about physical therapy and something about losing weight. It reminded me of the person who went to the public library and asked the librarian for a book entitled: "How to Lose Weight Without Exercise". The librarian didn't even look up. She just pointed and said: "You'll find it in the fiction department". Again I'm glad for your great experience in Zambia. Theron

The Wellness Lady said...

LOL. I love it! Thanks for your comment, Theron.